An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Compassion


Madelynn
&
Aidan



They didn't come with instructions or a manual!

I asked my midwife, Julie, several times after they arrived. I look at these two gorgeous little people and I wonder how the heck am I supposed to teach them everything? It's just mind boggling sometimes and I wonder if I'm going to screw them up with all my insanity.

Then they both surprised me today~~~It was kind of magical :-)

I was changing the sheets on Madelynn's bed. I bumped my head while tucking the end in on the top bunk and I hit it hard. I felt almost immediately like I was going to throw up it was that bad. I just slipped down to the floor and leaned against the wall. Tears filled my eyes it hurt so bad! (still does 6 hours later) Aidan and Madelynn were both in the room and watched me. I didn't say anything except "ouch".

Madelynn pipes up "Sorry, Mommy!" Then Aidan toddles over and cuddles me and gives me a kiss, he doesn't give them very often (he's a bit stingy with them). Madelynn follows him and does the same hugs and kisses my head. Aidan backed up looking at me and then kissed & snuggled into my chest again and again. It was then I realized, my kids know compassion.

com·pas·sion ( P ) (km-pshn)n. Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it.

I have somehow managed to teach them compassion in their small time on earth. Something that many adults lack. I felt like a good parent for the first time in a long time. (I did have good teachers) Parenting, maybe I'm doing ok after all.

4 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Christi said...

Of course you are doing fine! You're doing great! You have to love this age! They do show raw emotion rather good or bad and it just comes out in true form. They know what they know and don't hold back. Let's hope it stays with them ;)

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Julia said...

I really like your blog, Michelle.

And of all the things you can teach your children, compassion is one of the greatest..

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no doubt in my mind that you would be a great mommy. After all you had a great "big brother" in GJ that taught you well too. This makes me wish even more that we could be a part of your little ones growing up. What a joy and a blessing they are. They are lucky to have such a terrific mom and dad.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks guys! I never realized how hard parenthood was until they placed those little things in my arms for the 1st time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home