An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Monday, June 05, 2006

What can we afford??



"First time home owner" a phrase I find hard to imagine us using in this country! I know the price of owning homes has gone up in the United States but at least you can still afford to buy your own home if you have a decent job and Brendon does. In fact his salary puts him in the top 17% of income earners. If we were in the US that would make us rich. In New Zealand, we are just above the poverty level.

New Zealand is a beautiful country with a lot of good things but it really is bizarre. They are a nation who value owning a home above any other sort of investment. Therefore the prices of homes are over inflated. Just this morning I found out the price of a piece of land just around the block from were we live being divided into 2 sections. Front section - 376 sqm, Back section - 442 sqm and the cost? Only $150,000 EACH!! That's fine and dandy if you want to live on the "P" of a postage stamp. That's not including the house you'd have to build on it either.


It's so frustrating to see a house that is not brand new, not a mansion and costs 1/2 a million NZ dollars. So we continue to search for the perfect house we can afford, one that can fit our family and we can call HOME.

Oh and this house in the picture....is the ONE we can afford!!! It is located on the ass-end of NZ between Invercargill and Bluff.

4 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Christi said...

LOL, I hear ya! I told Hugh we won't be owning a house in NZ. We just can't. I thought this country valued family. Well I would have to work for us to own a us and that to me isn't what our family is. I can't recall many houses back home costing over $100,000 and we are talking about nice big houses for less with a decent about of yard lol. And I read the other day that the average size of a house in the US is 2200 square feet. Do ya think you can get that here without having to sell your children and every other thing you own??? It really drives me up a wall. That would be one good reason for us to move back to the States, for a house!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Valued family? LOL No, they value the fine art of getting over taxed by the govt. Living on a benefit and blaming Americans for all their problems. I honestly thought we would be moved back to the USA by now and be owing a house but life keeps getting in the way with little twist and turns. One good thing, if we had gone back already I wouldn't have met you, so good thing I'm still here! :-)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

OMG...I don't know what else to say. Wow.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

There isn't much else to say! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home