An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

No more cakes until February!


It's hard to say no sometimes. My niece, Rebecca, asked me if I would make her birthday cake. So I said yes. How do you say no to a 5 year old? She tells me that she doesn't want Granny to make her cake. Which is understandable, Granny can't bake to save her life. The uneasy part is that for her birthday it's always a combined family party for her 2 cousins as well who have birthdays the following week. Granny made their 2 cakes. I felt a bit bad for Connor and Leticia because they come bouncing in like kids do to admire the cakes and they both were "oohing and awing" over Rebecca's butterfly compared to the lumps of chocolate and lemon that Granny had concocted for them. I don't mean to be cruel but I do mean "LUMPS" They were total messes when they were finally set before the kids with candles. I don't know what happens to them but they just were the most unappealing looking cakes I have seen yet.

I know Granny tries hard but it's hard to say, "Wow! Those look great, give me a bite" After all the singing was done and the cakes were cut and 19 people had a choice of what to eat. I'm happy to say there was no butterfly cake left. But I did feel a bit sad for the 2 other cakes and Granny. Most importantly, I was relieved as I don't have to make another birthday cake until February!!

2 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Looks great, Michelle! I bet it tasted great, too :-)

I love making kids' cakes too - so much so that I did one for my mum and my hubby! Ethan picked them, straight from the book :-)

On Saturday I'll be making a "rocket" cake for Tyler's birthday. And it made me think about the cakes I've already done for my kids. I'm glad I made them myself and I want to say I always did that and never paid for one done by somebody else.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

That's an absolutely adorable cake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home