An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Madelynn Doodles

I know every mother is proud of their offspring and so they should be! All kids are pretty cool in my book. I love it when mine amaze me. Last Sunday Madelynn was coloring with her cousins and my sister-in- law told me I should come over and see. To my surprise I sat and watched her draw faces.

Top left to right: Daddy, Mommy, Uncle Fester. Bottom left to right, Papa, Aidan and Nana.

Nothing exciting I know she's 3 1/2 years old. What I found the most intriguing is she's only been to preschool 5 times and they only do paint and pasting. Nothing she has brought home has any people like qualities. Also neither Brendon or I have taught her how to draw faces. In fact she always asks for us to draw a cat or a dog.

I also thought it was neat to see her interpretation of the family around her. Why is Daddy the only one smiling? Mommy looks like she's been up all night and needs a nap. (which was true, I was up all night with Aidan that night) Uncle Fester, hmm..well that's pretty accurate looks just like him. No hair! LOL As for Nana and Papa, she only really knows them from their picture. Last time she saw them she was 7 months old so I wonder why Nana has a big eye?

Picasso or Michaelangelo in training? I highly doubt it but it's kind fun wondering.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Christi said...

OMG, Michelle, those are really good! Kamryn only started faces a few months ago too but hers look nothing like Madelynn's! Kamryn's are generally small and there isn't so much facial detail. We didn't teach Kamryn it either. I wonder if she learned from watching the others at daycare??? I have no idea but wee Madelynn's look great!!!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Those are great faces! Ethan has only just started to draw faces a few months ago, and he is 4. And at the age of 3 1/2, he wasn't doing ANY drawing at all. In fact, I was worried that he would never be interested in it!
Ethan's faces are similar to Madelynn's, especially the eyes, 2 big circles with 2 smaller circles inside them. I was quite shocked when he started doing them like that.
I don't know where they learn to draw faces. It seems like none of us have actually taught them how, so they must just figure it out themselves or see other kids doing it. It is really neat to watch them develop, isn't it?
Anyway, Madelynn's drawings are really great, and very advanced for her age. You just might have an artist in the making there :-)

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks Christi & Hannah!

I wish I knew where they learned to draw faces too. I'm going to ask at preschool next week to see what they show them. It's just interesting to me.

Now, if I can get her to show as much interest in drawing as cleaning up her toys! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home