An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

A feeling I can't find


You know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you hear a song that just feel good to the soul? A song that just makes you feel like "home" and when you hear it on the radio you just can't help but stay in the car and listen until it's gone. I cannot find that in New Zealand. It doesn't help that there isn't a country music station either!

Man I really miss country music! I get the auction listings everyday for the country music section from Trademe. I am able to find a top name CD sometimes for a bargin. My recent finds, Martina McBride and Brooks and Dunn. Sometimes you can find the odd artist at The Warehouse (NZ's version of Wal-mart) But sadly, I don't know who is who in country music anymore. Who the heck is Dierks Bentley, Phil Vassar, Carrie Underwood, Eric Church? I just checked the latest American Country Countdown top 40 chart and didn't know who 24 of the top 40 are. And what the heck happened to Bob Kingsley? Talk about feeling like I'm out of the loop. But...I digress

Today I had a rare moment to go to the grocery store without the kids and when I was driving back I put Brooks and Dunn in the cd player. It was their "Red Dirt Road" cd and that feeling I used to get back in my radio days when I heard a song that I knew was going to be a hit just washed all over me. A meloncholy feeling for good music and days gone by. I can't help but think of my old radio days and kind of miss them.

I don't miss working the 6 days a week, I don't know if even really miss being on the air. I think I miss most is the music and the fun times. Sitting in the van tonight all those fun times came rushing back. Hanging out with a young Bryan White, interviewing Tim McGraw, secrectly getting my picture taken with George Strait so I could give to mom for Christmas. Hitting the streets looking for Kenny Chesney when his bus broke down, just hoping he'd call me "Darlin" again. Ty Herndon wrapping his arms around me in the photo above and whispering something that just made me laugh. Not to mention hanging out with one of the greatest radio minds I've ever met. (Yes Glenn, it's you!)

It's all about the music man! I miss the music, that's a feeling I just can't find.

7 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Christi said...

I know what you mean, Michelle. I miss country music too although I do like pop/rock as well so I'm not too bothered. Loving the photo of you and Ty!!! He's sooooooo hot! He has been a fave of mine. Love the chicks too which I have their new album! Yummy! I find that it's old country here, not the newer stuff. More stuff my mom likes not me lol. E-mailing you........

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Oooh, I really dislike country music so I don't think I can comment on this one!!
SORRY! I hope I don't offend you saying that I don't like it, LOL :-)

Nice photo, though! You look so young! Not that I've met you or anything, I can only compare it to the photo under your profile, hehe :-)

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

No offense at all Hannah. I know not everyone likes country music. But, I would guess you like some country music and didn't even know it. I mean after all you liked the lyrics to the song I put on my blog. :-)

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Yes Michelle, you are right. I do like some country music. But I am not allowed to tell my husband, ROFL! I love the song you posted on your blog. I've heard it several times and I think it is beautiful.

Okay let me see ... these are singers I really DO like and they *might* be considered country-ish! Faith Hill, The Eagles, Little River Band, Shania Twain (I even walked down the aisle to "From This Moment") ... I know they are not pure country but they are close!
I just dislike that true country music that is so twangy and cheesy! But I understand why many people like it, especially if you grew up listening to it. I know Americans are much more into country music than Kiwis :-)

P.S. I still think it is really cool that you worked in radio!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Christi,

Ty is hot eh!!! He's even sexier in person and damn did he smell good!!! I can still remember that fragrance but I don't know the name of it. LOL

Hannah,

I knew it! I'm so good! ROFLOL I do like the old country but I was raised with it. It is an aquired taste, plus I think I like it because it's really a part of American music history. Not much like it anywhere else in the world.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Christi said...

Hehehe, Hannah! Faith Hill and Shania Twain started in country. It was only later in their careers that the crossed over but never left their country roots. I'm sure you have heard Lonestar and Dixie Chicks before too. Maybe just not knew it was them. I don't like the old country either. That's my mom's genre lol. I like the newer stuff.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? I can't believe I'm about to admit this, actually....I have NEVER been a fan of country music, but lately I have found myself missing it just because it does really sound of home. If you've always been a fan it must be really difficult. I do know that Carrie Underwood won one of the American Idol series. Not the last one, but the one before. She had a pretty voice. :) Nikki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home