An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Bah Humbug!

I'm so ready for Christmas to be over! I know it sounds terrible but it's true. I don't think this has been the most pleasant of holidays this year.

1. Bad news from home in the family. Happily it seems to be working itself out but still puts a damper on the "holiday spirit"

2. Buying for the kids proved harder than ever this year. I spend 2 hours last night just wrapping the gifts and thought to myself what the heck did I buy? There didn't seem to be much there.

3. Sheer exhaustion has set in with the pregnancy and it's not been easy. My back is hurting so bad and I can hardly move. Making it heaps harder to enjoy the fun with the kids

4. The weather is blowing major chunks! All week we've been stuck inside because it's too wet to go out. Aidan and Madelynn are climbing the walls with cabin fever and Aidan came down with a cold. Luckily, at the moment it's a minor one but he has passed it on to Madelynn. She is strong as a horse though and it's only been a few sniffles for her.

5. The Christmas tree...will it survive to Christmas Day? I'm not sure, I've tossed out 4 ornaments already thanks to Gretel (our cat) destroying them. Aidan eating a few styrofoam ones and Madelynn deciding that they are super cool like a slinky. So far it's still standing but if Aidan pulls hard enough on the garland it's going to come crashing down.

6. Our visit to Santa was ok, but the pictures of Aidan screaming where great. The look on his face wasn't fear for the fat guy in the red suit, it was for mommy being such a bitch and making him sit on his lap.

7. I wanted this year to have Madelynn call Santa Claus on the phone. They email you the audio of her call and I was excited to do this but...well 2 weeks ago my sister in law decided it would be fun to have her do it when I wasn't there. So I missed it. I waited until yesterday thinking she would do it again but she wanted no part of it. She kicked me and screamed when I handed her the phone "saying she didn't need to talk to him on the phone again" I got my heartbroken, (hormones kicking in here) and started crying as I feel like I missed out on some special moment. This is the 1st Christmas that Madelynn actually talks so I wanted to enjoy it.

8. Brendon begged me to make some sort of cake so he can give it to his co-worker for Christmas. Does he not realize I am pregnant and can barely cook dinner at the moment for the family? LOL I did make something today but it took 3 hours to make brownies. All because I had the help of 2 little people.

I usually can't wait for Christmas to get here so I can enjoy the kids but this year I just want Boxing Day to get here so the tree can go down and the kids have some new toys to play with. I'm 1/2 tempted to just give them the toys early so I can have a break.

Anyway, vent over...Merry Christmas. (seriously!)

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Michelle! Those all seem like pretty valid reasons for feeling like you want Christmas DONE! I hope the kids are better soon, and that you won't feel so tired. Pregnancy really can take it out of you. I don't know how you manage with 2 other kids, it was hard enough with 1 other!!

But in spite of all that, I hope that you do have a wonderful Christmas, and that your tree lasts another few days ;-)

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, our tree keeps getting attacked. Well the kids think it's a good hiding place for their toys lol. It's kinda pathetic now. I'm looking forward to it being done! Shame on your SIL for letting your daughter call when you wanted. She could have at least asked or something. Can she get the audio for you??? What is the number for that?? I might have to see about getting Kamryn to call. Hang in there, Michelle. It will be over soon enough! Hope you have a wonderful holiday! We'll be your way over the holidays too ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home