An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

No Time to Blog

It has been so busy around here! So I thought I'd just give a recap.

(8th July) Last Saturday we had a wonderful get together with some of our friends from the American-Kiwi message board. We had a Mexican pot luck lunch. It was just the best Mexican food I've had in such a long time. I was lucky to get to catch up with some old and new friends including the wild and crazy Christi where we had this camera show down. ha!

Brendon and I had a good time too. Madelynn on the other hand didn't. She was having a good one right up to the point where she got bit on the finger by a horse. The horse only grazed it but you would have thought he took her whole hand off.

All week long, several times a day, Madelynn reminds me "A horse bite me!" She then demands a new band-aid to aid in the healing.

(9th July) We got shot down on the house we put an offer in for. Someone else put in a bid 32 thousand more than we did. So we continue to search. Neither one of us hopeful that we will get anything soon. Sure we can afford a house but it's nothing that we would consider "habitable" It's just disheartening to know that on Brendon's decent salary and our sizeable deposit of about 25% we still cannot afford a house.

(10th July) 4pm one of the space heaters blew up. It was the one for Madelynn's room. Thank goodness I had moved it to the living room and decided at the last minute to move it to the end by the kitchen while I was doing the dishes so Aidan didn't mess with it. When I turned around it started shooting flames out of the bottom and caught the carpet on fire. Aidan was in the toy room out of the way and Madelynn was next to me. I shoved her back against the cupboard to keep her out of the way while I put out the fire. I wasn't scared until afterward. All I kept thinking about was "what if this had happened in the middle of the night in Madelynn's room?" We were so lucky that it if it were to happen it did it when it did. So now we have a nice scorch mark on the carpet.

(11th July) Migraine! Oh my stars! I started to get a headache around noon. I usually try to take something right away as if I don't I regret it. Today I did take something but it didn't work. I managed to get someone to take Madelynn for a couple of hours but by the time she came home I was starting to feel really awful. I could hardly keep my head up and I had my head on Aidan's tray trying to feed the poor boy dinner. Thank goodness I still had a can of baby food to feed him in a pinch. After getting that down him he was still fussy. So I took him to Madelynn's room. I must of blacked out a couple of times as the next thing I remember is Madelynn calling out from the living room asking for dinner. I fumbled to the kitchen and I threw up in the kitchen sink 4 times. The pain was so intense. I chucked something on a plate for Maddie and headed to the couch. I know I blacked out as I didn't hear anything until Madelynn piped up "Daddy's home". As soon as he walked in I headed to bed and only got up an hour later to tuck in the baby and then back to bed. It finally eased about 9:30pm so I could sleep though the night.

(12th July) I still felt like something in my skull was aching, kind of like a hangover I'd imagine. Wasn't the easiest of days to be mommy but life goes on. Brendon left at 5:30am to catch a plane to Palmerston North. Another night way from us in the life of busy Research Scientist. At least one of us got a good night sleep...it sure wasn't me or the kids!

(13th July) Brendon arrived back today, just in time to see the kids before bath and bedtime. Madelynn really missed him and had a hard time going to sleep. She didn't get to bed until about 10pm. Then of course she was over-tired and up several times a night. Ugh...I just can't win! If Aidan sleep all night she doesn't.

(14th July) Brendon came home sick after lunch. Although how sick I just don't know. He calls ahead of time to request 2 hot water bottles to warm up the bed before he gets there. What does he think this is a hospital service? Good news is he's home so I can take the van and get some much needed groceries. Jedda asked me to make a birthday cake for Matthew and I couldn't do it earlier in the week since the van was in Hamilton, since Brendon was away.

(15th July) Cake making day! What a friggin' nightmare! I lost my beloved grandmother's cake recipe. So I'm hunting tearing up the house looking for it. Thanks to mom I got it again via email. I just can't make a cake without that. It is the best recipe in the world (and before you ask, no I won't share it with anyone)had to head back to the store because the day before they didn't have cocoa. I get home and start making the batter and when I go to pour into the pan, realize I only have 1 round cake pan instead of the needed 2. I cannot find the 2nd one anywhere. I need 4 round cakes for this to work. So I relent and bake one at a time. I finally get my 4th baked and as I am taking it out of the oven at about 5pm....I drop the damn thing! Chocolate cake everywhere! Ugh!! I gave up fixed the family some quick dinner and finally finished the cake about 10:30pm. All for a cake that should have only taken me a couple hours to make.


(16th July) Matthew's party today and I managed to finish decorating the cake just as we walked out the door. I thought it turned out pretty darn cute for all the time and energy I put into it. I liked making it, just didn't like the hassle that I had. All the nieces and nephews liked it, why do I have this feeling I'm gonna get asked to make more cakes? Sometimes it sucks when you're the best cook in the family!

And that is just a QUICK recap of the busy week we've had. Hopefully things have settled down now and I can get back to blogging or sleeping, whichever comes 1st

2 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Christi said...

Awwwwww, mate! How crappy! I don't know how you deal when your migraines are like that. Just reading about yours is making me get one lol. Before my thyroid was treated I remember being in A&E 4 times in one month for injections. If they are too bad, I need Hugh to come home, I can't deal.

What a great cake! Sometimes I volunteer to make dessert cause I know it will be good lol. Same with birthday cakes. I just like mine better. And really baking doesn't take that long. What a beautiful cake! I wish I could do fancy cakes! Maybe I should look for some books.

Hope things settle down for you. I've been checking regularly just to see if you put my pic up lol.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

What a week! Nice to see a pic of Christi - you are right she is crazy!! And lovely :-)

That is one cool cake!! I love making cakes & decorating them. So much fun. Except when you drop one on the floor - DOH!

I hope everybody in your family is better now and you get to catch up on some sleep. It sounds like you need it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home