An American Housewife Down Under

The trials, tribulations and rantings of an American living in New Zealand.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Musca domestica


or in other terms $%(&*&@)# house flies! Yuck! One thing I totally hate about New Zealand is the lack of screens upon windows to keep out the flies and other insects.

Sure, you can find a screen door here and there, in fact our house has 2. You won't find screens on the windows however and that is just bloody annoying.

Instead, most Kiwis buy fly spray (ie: Raid) and run around spraying them. How is this more effective? You spend more money, you pollute the air with chemicals and you also breathe them in. Then you have to run around and clean up after all the dead flies. Ugh!

Yesterday we had the worst batch at our house. I had most of the windows closed and the doors open with the screen doors shut. Of course with Aidan and Madelynn (and Brendon) it's always a mission to get them to close the door once they open it. Brendon came home and when I went to open the back door, the door and the back deck were just swarming. There must have been at least 300 flies. We started spraying the fly spray though the screen and then Brendon took it and started to spray outside. All this just to get him in the house.

After he had done that he went to wash his hands and in the bathroom I hear him yell "bloody hell!" He had to fetch the spray and kill about 200 more flies. And I had just spend the morning cleaning that room too!

After they all all died off he took the vacuum and cleaned them all up. He said he lost count of the flies there were so many. He then re-cleaned the bathroom before bathing the kids.

What a total waste of time all New Zealand needs are screens on the windows. Obviously too much to ask.

3 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Christi said...

Wow, I can't imagine having that many flies around! I think the most we have ever had inside is about 20 and that was the other day! I go spastic if there is more than 5. I get out my spray can and I'm spraying the shit out of the bastards! I can't take it! I like the idea of having windows with no screens. I feel a bit more 'free' that way. Plus screens aren't very attractive either and they get pretty disgusting. I'm not worried about what small pollutant I'm putting in the air as I'm sure there are other things we are using that are just as bad (ex: diapers and fuel). We have the thing that sprays out on the wall but that gets expensive too. We spend $10 a month for a replacement can. But when the can runs out, our house is flooded with them and they drive me insane, literally. You can ask Hugh about it lol.

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger CarysWeldonblog said...

Hi, Michelle.
Just dropping in to check out your blog and to reply for the note you left on mine.

Carys is a welsh name and it is pronounced care-iss.

Check out: The Price of Peace by Jennifer DiCamillo--the main character is named Carys and will live forever in your head. Great, great (epic) story of suspense, murder, and romance.

And, on this post--I'm with you on spraying the world out of flies and other bugs! And getting window screens, too.
-Carys Weldon

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

I'm shocked! We never have that many flies here!! We have one of those automatic Robocan things which are GREAT. We don't find them much more expensive than getting the house sprayed each year (which doesn't work as well, trust me we did it for 3 years) or buying cans of fly spray. As for screens, they are pretty darn ugly and I wouldn't want them on all my windows. We have one for our ranchslider which is great but the window ones get pretty skody after a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home